GATES stands for Greater Alternatives to Educating Students. We are a small school with a staff that is highly trained and highly committed to the success of all students. We take pride in our school and the fact that we are a diverse learning community. We are a Safe and Civil school where students are provided every opportunity to be valued in a learning environment that is highly personalized based on individual student needs and circumstances.
With the largest enrollment of the Franklin Pierce Alternative Programs, GATES High School most closely resembles the day-to-day set up of a traditional high school environment. Students attend classes Monday through Friday and meet with their advisors daily during a 20 minute Check & Connect period.
The accelerated 8 term schedule allows students to keep pace on a 5 period day, or they may work to recover missing credits by taking additional classes or online credit retrieval courses. Subject-specific interventions provide support for students struggling to meet standards required for graduation.
GATES also offers many of the hallmarks of high school life including assemblies, field trips, Leadership, yearbook, and school pride apparel.
Enrollment at GATES begins with a counselor referral at your home school, and orientation classes are held every 4 weeks.
Makes attendance and homework a priority
Takes pride in his/her role in the GATES community
Is accountable for personal progress toward graduation
Build partnerships among students, staff, families and community
Focus on the positive to create an environment where students feel secure to be who they are while respecting the individuality of others
Offer a safe, small learning environment that provides resources to meet individual student needs
Increase student achievement by providing meaningful and engaging work
Encourage students to take responsibility for their lives and to formulate educational plans that direct them toward success during and after high school
PRINCIPLES THAT GUIDE OUR CULTURE
We the GATES Community…
- Value every day as a new day
- Believe diversity is strength to be embraced with open-mindedness, compassion, and empathy
- Act with integrity and treat everyone with respect
- Communicate honestly and openly under all circumstances
- Show care, kindness and generosity towards each other
- Are reflective learners who collaborate and support each other in continuous learning
- Foster joy, laughter and celebration
- Build sincere relationships with students
- Advocate for student success
- View conflict as an opportunity to communicate in an open, timely and healthy manner
- Make every moment count
…we choose to trust each other and be held accountable for this code of conduct